Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Blog off week 3

Topic: "The most important lesson"

One of the many lessons that I am trying to pass on to Lexi, my teenage daughter, is to "Remember Who You Are". While visiting my grandmas house, my grandma would pass on the rules and advice before we walked out the door. There were two that have always stuck with me. Remember who you are & let the boys be the persuers. Both of which I have passed onto Lexi . . . whether she likes it or not!

The most important to me is remember who you are. It's important to stay true to yourself, to your values and morals. I tell Lexi that even though she doesn't like to think she is an example for anyone, she is. People will be watching, whether it be her peers from school or more importantly, her younger siblings and cousins.

When Lexi starts to slip up, I like to use the Brooke Shields funnyordie clip theme for her, "You better check yourself, before you wreck yourself".
Seems fitting for her sometimes (not the video, just the phrase).

2 comments:

courtney said...

It's totally true. Nice lesson. :)

Nathan Pralle said...

I've heard that quote before about letting the boys be the pursuers, but I've never really understood it, unless it's the fact that then the gals get to sit back and take their pick. My only hate of that is that at that age, I never pursued anyone (and most of the guys of my caliber didn't) and yet we would have perhaps been better for many of the girls than the guys who DID pursue them. I'm just sayin'. :)

I'd couple the sentiment of keeping true to yourself with the idea that you must know what yourself consists of -- those two things coupled together is what keeps you from falling for anything and everything that comes by.